Yep. A lot of it. Started dripping about 2:45 this morning so I climbed up on deck and secured things, closed the covers on the hatches, closed hatches, check the weather, it was hours out yet.
At about 0800 this morning it started and has been raining off an on until now (10:45 or so Monday morning, 19 September).
I have been keeping a tarp over the deck to keep the sun from beating down on the boat and heating it up, and apparently that has helped with some leaks on the starboard side. Since I had moved the tarp the last few days to do work and didn’t put it back, I have found one of the major leaks inside. It’s coming down above the refrigeration unit, starboard side, along one of the large angle pieces holding up a beam inside. I went out in the pouring rain to look and see where it might be coming from but only accomplished getting soaked to the skin, and moving the tarp a bit. Seems to have slowed the leak, but I really need to figure that one out. I suspect it has something to do with the coaming in the cockpit, but not sure yet.
There’s a teak cap surrounding it, and it might be leaking there. If so, a lot of water is probably in there. I’ll eventually have to pull that all off and examine it. Everything is solid though, nothing squishy. And there are also the fine, alligator cracks in the surface of the deck up there which need filling as well. I suppose those could be leaking as well.
The rain wasn’t a pounding, windy rain, just a nice, steady downpour for the last 45 minutes. Fortunately, I was here to sop up the drips everywhere. But, one more thing to look over carefully. I’ve mostly sealed the port-lights, I still have a couple that need help. I also need to remove, sand and varnish the main hatch and the vee berth hatches, reseal around the forward anchor box (it’s another hatch that goes right down to the vee berth). And a little paint on some trim, but those are minor issues.
Tomorrow we’re scheduled for a haul out, zinc check and a paint job. I decided that even though the last painting was a little over a year ago, we’re headed for the Bahamas soon and I want to not have to worry too much about anything other than scraping the hull.
JoAnne and I will spend the 3-4 days in a local cabin, because she’s really not ready to climb up and down a tall ladder yet. I’ll be over at the boat fixing some dings in the fiberglass that came from somewhere in our travels, and trying to clean the brown stains from the port side of the boat.
A few days ago our new, manual pump toilet came and I replaced the forward head. It was a Jabsco electric, apparently a refit, from an older pump head. I removed the whole thing as it was pretty old and just tossed it after checking the motor, it was burned out, and there was a dead short in it. So, we now have a regular toilet which no longer pumps into the holding tank, and a composting toilet. Right now, the forward head is more of a closet than anything so we won’t be using it much anyway. Maybe we can empty out the head on passages and use it off shore, but I am getting rid of that nasty holding tank as soon as I can (in the next year probably).
The other two things I did, were to finish about 90% of the teak. I still need to do the port side rub rail up to the name plate and finish the aft part of the boat’s rub rail on the starboard side. Also need to paint the name plates on the bow and add the name there as well.
And I got the mizzen sail back in place. Two weeks ago, Marty (former manager of the marina we’re in, just before he decided he didn’t want to work here any more for some reason) helped get that halyard repaired and in place. He, Pete and Greg did most of the work, I supplied the tools, strings, rope, tape and whatever else we needed. I don’t think I will go up a mast ever due in part to my heart surgery, and due to the fact I’m terrified of being that high up counting on a simple rope, winch and my upper body strength.
Mizzen sail went up easily, and the furler worked fine after the sail had been cleaned and repaired. I tested furling and unfurling and it went easily. Should NOT have trouble sailing now. I hope.
Almost every major job I had on my list is done, except zincs, paint and leaks, but leaks seem to be on-going. Fix one, find another. Nothing is dangerous though, so I’ll fix them as I can or plug bad ones. haha. So far they are just annoying, not dangerous.
I expect, on anchor to have a tent up over the main boom in the islands for heat deflection so leaks will not be an issue in rains. I just didn’t have it set up right when this rain came. We got a few drips from Hermine when it came through, but, the tarp was in place then.
Right now, we’re considering going to the boat show in Annapolis in the beginning of October, but probably not. Neither one of us are thrilled about driving up, spending the money and looking around at things we can’t really afford and don’t actually need anyway. Honestly, the ONLY thing at this point I’d consider it a new radar system since ours doesn’t work. I likely won’t even use it for anything except weather anyway. We have no major “Needs” and likely fewer “wants” at this point except food, and a wind generator. That’s a “Really Want” item, and we can likely do without it, but I’ll be happier if we have it. And JoAnne’s only really “want” is a water maker.
We have an emergency/survival one, a hand pumped device I’ve not tested yet. But that is a ditchbag thing. I won’t use it unless we’re in critical need of water and no rain in the near future.
So, over all, we’re just about ready to pull out of here and head south again.
The trip should take us through portions of the ICW to Beaufort, NC. We’ll make some decisions there to either sail outside part way, or simply take a five day sail over and south. If we can get comfortable on a couple overnights going out, we should easily be able to do a 5-6 sail with food and water. We need to get over that hurdle sooner or later anyway.
Since the rain is still coming down, there’s not much I can do outside.
Fair winds, until next time!