Today is also Pearl Harbor Day. I suppose it’s been awhile since I’ve written anything. At least here.
I’ve posted on other blogs, facebook, and our FB groups, but not here.
So, here’s December’s post.
Tonight, we go see our Granddaughter, Cassie, in a play, Death of a Salesman (I think). High School rendition, so should be interesting.
JoAnne has been through two chemotherapy sessions. A portion of each of those two were cancelled due, mainly, to low blood cell counts. The first session was about six hours long. The second part of that session was supposed to last an hour, and was a week after the first infusion. Unfortunately, she was suffering suddenly from a tooth ache, which turned also into an infection… likely due to lowered white blood cell numbers.
The second session last week on a Thursday went well. But her blood work on this Wednesday (5 December) showed her white, red blood cells and the building blocks for those things (along with other chemicals I’m not as familiar with) were at a very low level. Thus, they cancelled the second infusion (which should have been yesterday).
They want to give her a drug, called Newlasta, which will help to regenerate white blood cells, but it takes 14 days to function, and they need to give it after the second infusion. So, that’s become a problem. Now, she gets one more blood draw in a week or so (next Thursday), and then a doctor’s visit on the following Monday at which time we will be asking some questions, and hopefully there will be a “new plan” to get this accomplished correctly.
The next infusion will be after the doctor’s visit. The GOOD news in all this, is the CA-125 blood test (Cancer Antigen test) is showing a drastic reduction in count. It went from just over 70 to 50. Her last tests over the course of time have been, June 2017 the CA-125 was 21, and a year later, this past June was 50. This caused concern with us and the doctors. In August it shot up to the mid-60s, and therefore the PET scan was ordered.
The PET scan showed not one, but TWO areas of concern. An area somewhere between her liver and kidneys and a node on her left lung.
The next CA-125 tests were 68 and then 71 in September and October respectively. (I might be off on the dates, exactly, but you get the gist of it).
In between all of this (September to Present), we’ve made three trips across country, back and forth, ran from a hurricane, visited Florida and came back to Colorado, where the chemo has commenced.
Two sessions are through, with some complications, but still plugging along. We’re still very much alive, and still “Adventuring” when we can.
20 December should be our “half way point” on Chemo. Meaning she is starting the third session. Whether or not we get some stuff tacked on at the end, we’re not sure yet, but we’re going to be checking on that when the doctor’s visit comes to pass. That will, if things go well, give us 3 more sessions or nine more weeks with chemo in those nine weeks, healing and doctor’s visits, blood work and dozens of miles on the car back and forth to the hospitals.
In the mean time, we miss our ship, Adventure, very much and find ourselves wishing for the house to rock us to sleep at night. Instead, we have cold, snow on occasion, next door neighbors who can be loud (in the middle of the night for some reason….) hundreds of people everywhere, and us trying to avoid germs. HA!
Tonight, as I mentioned, we’re going to a HS play, where we will likely be exposed to a lot of germs again, because people always cough, sneeze and aren’t the cleanest of creatures. JoAnne will bring a mask just in case, but hopefully won’t have to use it. Not, that we honest believe that a mask is going to actually STOP germs from getting into your system anyway. Doesn’t seem to help at hospitals where there are super bugs…
In the mean time, she’s been crocheting, reading and helping run the various Sailing and Cruising forums she is Admin on, and I’ve been re-learning Morse Code (I’m very rusty at it), and have built two radios to work on Ham Radio frequencies (20 and 40 meters) but haven’t an antenna to connect, and I’ve also been writing a complete role play game campaign for “Stars Without Number” ( a role playing game, set in the milled of the year 3200, in space for some friends in the Southport area). All of this to “keep busy”.
Unfortunately, I didn’t really have room, nor the time, to grab my charts and sit down and work out courses for the Bahamas and beyond, but I figure it’s likely better to do that just before we go. At this point, we’ve decided that if we can get back in late March, we will plan a trip down to Bahamas for the Spring, and head back before Hurricane Season hits… and we have a couple of friends who want to go along, who are both sailors. It will help immensely to get us all there safely, and through that big hurdle of “several days of sailing”, so we can head home on our own when the time comes.
Last thing, I’m personally working on is my Celestial Navigation again. I really want to grasp that stuff. I think I’ve mostly got it, but now, I really need to practice it.
That is all for now, friends. Until next time, Fair Winds!