Well, kind of. We’re headed down soon to Florida to look over some boats. Since I’m a little wary about putting travel data out I won’t say when or exactly where yet. But we’ve got a bunch of boats lined up, one confirmed appointment and the type of boats are all falling in line with our basic requirements.
Each of the boats will be between 34-41 feet long.
Among the top choices were:
Allied Mistress (a 39′ full keeled ketch with an aft cabin)
Morgan Out Island 41 – similar to above
Those are our absolute top, go-to boats right now. Among the second place was a Formosa (Actually it’s a CT 41, but based on the same designs as the Formosa 41), a couple of different Irwin models, another Hallberg-Rassy (33′), a couple of larger boats (a 45′ and a 44′) and too far away to look at, but would be on the top of the list if closer to our destination, would be two Gulfstar sloops.
We’ve been aboard a Westsail 42 in the past (if you watching the banner pictures, you’ll see the actual boat, the Kataboo eventually) – but not a 32. We’ve clambered all OVER a Morgan 41 in the Bahamas that was for sale at one point. The owner wanted too much money, and we didn’t want to fiddle with trying to get him to drop the price at the time. The boat was sold later, I hear, to some folks who wanted it to move Haitians off their island, most likely, illegally. He didn’t get anywhere near what he was asking originally.
I’m partial to a slightly smaller vessel – perhaps 35′ in length. She is looking for something a bit larger. We might, or might not have extra crew join us (family members) from time to time and for unknown lengths of time. There is nothing set in concrete for that and we’re honestly not sure when this might happen, for how long or if the persons in question will do this often or not very often.
Thus we’ve been torn on buying the larger boat and ending up spending more money in repairs and maintenance, or going smaller, more budget-minded and have the extra crew “make do” with the space we allot them. We feel like they really should come along – they are young and could be helpful, but also at the same time this is really for me and my wife, not to accommodate others. Don’t get me wrong, we love them dearly and would welcome them. But you know… decisions, decisions. Oh their part and ours….
Anyway, truthfully, if we locate a boat that is 34-35 feet long and still has an aft cabin (we have a couple of those) to allow my wife and I privacy and a larger cabin area for the galley and an extra space or three for sleeping, it will be fine.
I really, really, like that Hallberg-Rassey we’re looking at. I also really, really, really like the Allied Mistress. Boat good boats, both of them are in our price range. Both of them have the things already on them we want. One is a bit much on asking price, the other has some work that is required before you can sail off.
But, we’ll figure it out.
The Broker we’re working with has told us several times to “sign a S&P” form… basically it’s an offer letter. I don’t want to do that until I SEE boats personally, touch them, look inside, sniff around and do my own mini-survey. Once I do that, I’ll be in a better position to determine if we’ll have a surveyor come out and do the rest of the job for us. So – not getting pushed into making an offer on a boat sight-unseen, not buying a boat JoAnne and I both don’t have 100% agreement on, and won’t buy one that isn’t really what either of us want. We each can veto the others final say on a vessel.
From a practical aspect this is about to be our new home. We don’t want to live in a camper. We don’t want to be “camping”. We want to have some comfort, a nice place to sleep, a dry boat, places to store food, a water maker (eventually), extra power (solar panels and wind generator) and a way to move the boat without an engine (sail, sculling oars, outboard) and a dinghy. HF radio is part of our lives now (we’re hams) and we’ll take our radio gear with us when we finally leave Colorado.
She has another doctor’s visit in October. We’re waiting for that appointment to make the final decision on the house. We’ll likely put it back on the market at the end of October if all works out. If not, we’ll continue on, regroup as we have in the past and continue keeping on….