Folks, I first apologize for not updating this blog sooner, but the truth is I have been working steadily since the last entry on various jobs and honestly haven’t had the time, nor energy left at the end of the day to sit down and write. Plus the tablet is a royal pain in the ass to use.
Yesterday our “unlimited data” became “limited” in speed. They FAILED to tell us that after so many gigs of data they reduce the SPEED. Bastards.
But, tomorrow is Thursday, the 27th. High tide here will be at about 8:53 in the morning. I’ve prepped everything to get out of the docks in the morning. I need to top off water, disconnect the hose, electrical system and undo a few of the dock lines.
Normally, I’d have three lines, but because of the weight of the boat, the flimsy dock fingers, the fact we’re sitting at low tide in 3 feet of water, I’ve decided that the wear and tear on the lines isn’t justified so I added extra lines. We bounce pretty good when a tug or a freighter goes by a thousand yards out, and the wake comes through the sea wall…. so I’ve been worried about ripping things apart since we go in this slip.
I’ll remove the lines, all but the last couple in the morning, and I’ll set them up to slip off so JoAnne or I can do it easily and we’ll be ready to go.
Our first trip will be a relatively short trip, down river to Nyack. It’s about 15 miles or so, perhaps 3 hours away. Not far as distances or time goes, but we want to make sure we can still sail, the systems function under sail, the engine runs well, the sheets, lines, sails and all the other items work correctly,
And that we float out, not sink in the middle of the marina.
And we can still remember how to sail.
Also, there’s a hurricane that will likely, by Saturday hit the southern US. We want to not go TOO far in case we need to run back up the river and find a hidey hole for a day or two.
Sounds like Erika might head for Chesapeake…. which is precisely where we want to go. We’re not ready to try to run south and beat a hurricane coming nothing. Not yet.
Anyway, that’s where we stand tonight.
I’m exhausted and need rest, and so does JoAnne.
For the past few days we spent a lot of money on other things, including provisioning the boat. As long as we have water we have enough food to last about a month. Without refrigeration. Which doesn’t work.
We do have water, we have toilets, sort of and need to go do a pump out. But we have at least once bad valve in one head, which is closed off for use now until we can repair it.
We made a lot of mistakes of stuff we kept and sent home too. More on that another time.
We sent home about 50% of our belongings.
But we DID, eventually, find a spot for almost everything. I’m still messy on some things but it will work itself out.
We have NOT set up the HF rig yet.
Haven’t been able to use our printer.
But we’re getting where the major projects are becoming smaller things now.
Soon…. we can get a few more things done.
But, one mystery to solve at a time, and each little adventure at a time.
Today, we turned in our rental car at 3pm and they brought me back to the marina. My friend, Mark showed up to visit and we had a good chat. He took some good pictures, and I’ll get him to email then so they can be posted later.
And that friends is that for the night. I’m done, tired and have to get up pretty early.
All of our best to everyone.
Great to hear your finally getting out of there. I hope your next stop has more like-minded residents and management- I’m sure some positive energy will improve everything! Fare well tomorrow. Best wishes for an uneventful trip with as much good news as possible!
Good to hear progress, you’re heading the right direction. Very happy to hear you’re getting out of that marina- hopefully your next stop finds you surrounded by more like-minded people, you need the positive energy! Fare well on your trip tomorrow, hope it’s uneventful and brings plenty of good news.
Thanks for the comments, we had no issues getting here, just an alternator problem right at the end. Wee have that fixed, as of this minute.