Wrightsville Beach: We left out of Wrightsville Beach on a bright, sunny morning with temperatures in the 50s and a light breeze blowing. We were headed for Southport are of North Carolina. We’d spoken to several marinas because we wanted to be on a dock with wifi access for a couple of days before heading on to Charleston.
The trip out of the anchorage to the ICW was uneventful. Engine was running well, systems all functional. We came down the Cape Fear River from Snow’s Cut, making very good time, the current was with us, and the tide was leaving so we were making 5 to 6.5 knots most of the time. A catamaran named Necessity, a delivery crew en route to Florida. We had a short conversation VHF and bid one another adieu.
They were moving along at a decent clip and managed to get to Southport long before us, got fuel and were passing us heading for the ocean when we rounded into the channel. The skipper hollered over saying, “We’re going outside, Fair Winds!” I waved back and headed into the channel.
The current coming out grabbed the front of the bow and shoved us to starboard, a lot harder than I would have expected. Our speed dropped from 5.5 knots to 2 suddenly. I gave the engine some throttle and brought the bow back around. A weird vibration started that I’d not heard before. Once I got into the channel I backed down the throttle again and the engine settled.
I tapped the button for the bow thrusters and found them no longer working… again. Similar issue as I had a few weeks ago. Just didn’t fire up for some reason. Still isn’t today and am not sure why. I suspect the controller though at this point, but it’s possible the works up in the front of the boat has some issue.
Now, I’m sure I can get into the dock though, with no issues, so I call the marina, notify them I’m a couple miles out and have the bridge in sight. I advise I will need a dock hand to assist with the tie off because I don’t want JoAnne trying to get off the boat in this current. “No problem, I’ll be there” says the dockmaster.
We come in and I line up and “land” gently next to the dock and hold her steady while JoAnne hands off the two lines he’s asked for and once he has one secured, I jump off and grab the stern line. After moving the lines where he wants us to sit for our visit, I finish tying it all off. A/C Power is connected and we’re all good.
Nothing out of the ordinary and no problems.
So I think.
Engine Issues: Of course, the weather was good for two days and we’re staying three nights. No problem. Then the weather reports start coming in about rain, thunderstorms and high winds off shore. We’re supposed to leave on Sunday morning but the weather was going to be crappy, and we don’t want to deal with it going off shore or sitting in a new anchorage for a few days and decide to extend our stay here on the docks.
It rained cats and dogs, and assorted other critters for almost a full 24 hours. I watched thundershowers roll through on the radar to our south, missing us by about 20 miles… but slamming the anchorage are where we’d have been. Ok, good call on that I guess.
Today is Wednesday, 7 December 2016 – Pearl Harbor Day – and we were supposed to pull out this morning. That didn’t happen.
Now, this IS a sail boat, and in general, you like to use the SAILS to move the boat, and the truth is I CAN do that. But short tacking down the ICW to get back out to the ocean isn’t precisely my idea of “smooth sailing” or fun, especially not sailing it alone. With JoAnne’s back injury last year, she’s not going to be shifting rapidly to move lines or for that matter, drive much. If we had an extra crew or two aboard to assist, it would probably be easy enough to do with a bit of practice with a new crew. But, this is a pretty large boat — a ship really — a heavy, slow, ponderous, if you will, “beast” that does what she wishes sometimes when you don’t wish it, and usually when least expected.
Thus, being a sailboat with an auxiliary engine means… well, we want the engine functional at all times. When you don’t need it, but especially when you do.
So last evening (late afternoon actually), as is my usual course of action before heading out the next day, I started doing system and engine checks hoping to leave this morning. Bow thrusters, still not working and not sure why. Fuse is good… but I can do without bow thrusters and really need the engine working. I check the engine oil, coolant levels, belts, look for anything out of the ordinary like leaks and strange things that weren’t there before. Added a bit of oil (as we have a constant drip under the engine which appears to be a gasket that the mechanic said was notorious for leaking anyway) and looked at coolant. I checked the alternator belt and something caught my eye.
A tiny crack. There is a a bracket that is mounted to the starboard side of the engine, through which a bolt holding the alternator runs, and there are two places it runs. This piece was “half ass” welded to the bigger piece. After examining it carefully, this appears to have been a makeshift repair at some point in the past, and not an actual factory job. Anyway, this piece broke. So, the alternator is holding on by one side and not the other. The crack is fresh. The steel shattered.
I let the marina know who got me in touch with Snyder Marine, down the street. Jason, the technician was here in 15 minutes or so. He looked over the engine and said something about the oil leak and then removed the bracket. We looked closely and sure enough, the bracket had a flaw in it, and quite possibly was already “rebuilt” once or re-welded. There had been an old crack at the weld, and there was rust there. The rest of the crack extended from the old, weakened spot and the vibration I’d heard coming in at the entrance to the channel was quite likely the alternator breaking right at the point I put extra pressure on the engine. We started the engine.
Jason, then found another problem. Our exhaust manifold is leaking, a gasket has failed there as well. So, he’s working on getting us the right parts and will, with luck have us under way sometime in the next day or so. The oil leak is coming from the air intake area, and a second one elsewhere. I’ll get the details later when he returns.
The Tech is trying to get a new part for us, and had to come in this morning to locate the serial number. I never found it, but he finally did. Back of the engine, in a difficult location to see. Figures. Wrote it down though in the log book!
We have had some pretty sun sets here, and have seen some beautiful boats. Here are a few of those images.
Majestic Dream on the dock
Down the docks from us is a Vagabond 47, pictured above. Skip and Louise are the owners, and like us, are headed south. They are due to pull out today at noon and head off shore for Charleston, SC. They are supposed to drop us a note saying they arrived safely. A boat just like this one was in Norfolk with us last year. Apparently, I’ve either deleted the pictures or put them “someplace safe” and forgotten where I put them.
Sunset at the South Harbour Village Marina across the ICW
Different Sunset, Different Day, ICW North Carolina
Amateur Radio: Side note on Ham Radio. Got in contact with my old friend Rick Hendricks, KE0GB from Colorado Springs and we’ve been chatting a bit about trying to make radio contact, which so far hasn’t happened. The bands haven’t really been opened to Colorado Springs lately. We’ve tried packet, and psk31 digital modes but nothing yet. Have to get the right conditions.
I’ve also tried getting Winlink2000 (RMSExpress) working under Linux, and though it “sort of works” it doesn’t work well, or properly. I just don’t have the time to fiddle with Linux and figure out why things aren’t working right, but I’m sure it’s because it’s a windows program running under WINE. I’d be better off drinking wine and washing our windows I suppose rather than wrack my brain on operating systems. /shrug
Departure: We’re planning our departure here as soon as the engine is repaired again and we’re talking about making the trip to Little River and anchor. It’s a short day trip, 35 miles perhaps with the in/out of the channels and then go on the next day for Charleston. At this point, I’m strongly considering, with a good window, to make for Florida and spend the 2-3 days sailing day and night.
JoAnne doesn’t seem to be ready to spend time standing a watch though, but if she can stand a 2-4 hour watch, just making sure we’re not getting run down and mostly on course, not over running shoals or getting whale-whacked mostly in the day time, I can handle an all-night watch and nap through it for a few days. I’ve done this sort of thing in the military where I got very little sleep for days on end. But, I’m getting older now.
One more temporary crew member to assist me with watches would be best. But, we can do this. We’ll debate it more as we go.
Edit: Just received a call from Jason about the part. Apparently this particular piece is obsolete. They are going to have to make one for me. Oh… goodie. I will wait and see I guess how it looks.
Edit, Bow Thrusters: Having a beautiful, sunny afternoon here on the dock, I did some rearranging in the fore cabin, added beer and soda to the fridge making a little room. I removed some boxes that were no longer holding things and I tore apart the navigation pod (which was no mean feat, not having the proper tools – they have special security screws, but fortunately I happened to have a couple of those special bits and found the right one. I’ll be replacing the screws with something I can put in and out easier next time!)
In any case, the controller is what I thought was “acting up” – or more accurately, not acting at all. I was still getting power at the device because if you press the power button, a tiny beep-beep-beep sound would happen, with the beeps being about 8 seconds apart. That’s not normal. Normal operation when you press the button is a fast beeping sound, and you have about 10 seconds to press the button a second time. The device then sends a Morse code lettter (R) for “received” I guess. When you turn it off it usually sends “SK” – with is di di dit da di dah – again Morse code for “End of transmission”.
Anyway, inside is a circuit board with a handful of parts, all surface mount chip technology, a couple of transistors and a microprocessor. I cleaned the circuit board with alcohol because there was a bit of some kind of mold or something. I assume it might be conductive. Also cleaned the connectors, a large, four-pin, specially keyed connector so you can’t plug it back in incorrectly.
That fixed the issue. The controller fires right up now, and the bow thrusters are fully functional again! Yay!