In 1962 a movie was made about Cape Fear. Saw it as a kid. Gregory Peck, Robert Mitchum, Polly Bergen, Telly Savalas were in the movie. It was a thriller type movie. Criminal, murder, stuff like that.
Yesterday we could have starred in our own thriller movie. Or horror movie. Or just a documentary about puking.
We left the docks at 0900 on the way out the Cape Fear inlet. We were supposed to leave at 0700 and JoAnne listened to the NOAA weather, and said “Not going out in 9 foot seas” and she was right. Completely, totally right to trust her instincts on departure. After discussing it with Judy and Stephen for a few minutes, we all agree a couple more hours sleep might be prudent.
We pulled out on time, at 0900, and headed back to the inlet. Tide was just starting to come back in and we slogged a bit through it in places. Bentana had little trouble with a newly repowered boat, brand new engine. We, on the other hand couldn’t make more than about 4 knots maximum most of the time and that was pushing the engine. I almost turned back and said “Nope”. But I didn’t.
We got out to the channel and dodged a ship. He called me and asked if I’d be polite enough to step out side the markers for him, to which I replied that he could have the entire ocean should he desire it. We moved outside the channel in 40′ of water and his bow bulb was as big as my whole boat. After he passed, I called him and “thanked him for the slow pass” and I think I made his day, he laughed and said “Good travels”.
No more incidents for a bit. Then the shoals came into view. And the water turned into a rocking wash tub. I almost turned back…. but I didn’t.
We called Bentana who was now gaining ground and moving at a quick pace out to sea. Judy said that they were going past marker 6 I think it was and then turning to 180 degrees to catch the wind, get out to sea and then would tack back later. I followed her lead.
We didn’t make it to the mark she turned out at. We were taking a pounding by then and the wind was wrong, and so were the waves. Making a decision to stop taking a pounding, I checked depths, and objects in front of me and turned to 180, raised sail and steadied the boat considerably. I consulted with JoAnne about turning around. She said “I want to go to Charleston. We’re already out here.” She had a point. I could have turned around… but I didn’t.
We sailing relatively well at that point going up and down the waves, and not getting slammed now, things somewhat smoothed out. But JoAnne kept getting sick. At some point I had to go below to check on something. What it was, I don’t even remember now. That’s when I started getting sick. First time ever being “seasick”. When we took a steep wave and most of the ocean washed over the foredeck and back to the cockpit coaming, it was at that point I thought “We should turn back…”. But I didn’t.
I called Bentana to check in at 1230 as we’d planned. They were “doing ok” and we all exchanged encouraging words.
By 1300, JoAnne was doing all she could to keep from throwing up, and I wasn’t. It was my turn. I got so sick I threw up for five solid minutes. I think I nearly passed out from it. I had heart surgery last year in May. I still have pain in my ribs and back from where they cracked open my chest. All my ribs crack like knuckles. I think they all popped yesterday. It was right about that moment in time I realized just how stupid this was. I stopped and considered the situation carefully. We could go on and we didn’t know the sea state would settle for sure, or we could go back, reverse course back through the washing machine, tides, current and winds all from different directions, we could heave too (we were about 8 miles out perhaps by then) and hope things settled.
At that moment, I made the “prudent” decision to turn around. Finally. All DAY I had not listened to my inner voice telling me “Today is not the day!” Please note I called it a “Purdent Decision”. It truly wasn’t a prudent decision. It was a mistake to go out when I had thought it wasn’t a good day. And to be clear I DO know weather conditions pretty well, and I wasn’t sure I was comfortable, but we were tired of being here, ready to go, ready to roll, get going, go somewhere else. All the way around “prudence” was jumping up and down trying to be noticed and I was ignoring “her”.
I called Bentana and told JoAnne, Judy and Stephen at the same time we were headed back in. I can’t bear to see JoAnne sick like that, and if something had happened to me she’d have been helpless at that point to do anything about it other than call for evacuation. That wasn’t going to happen.
We rode the waves back in, partially under sail, trying to keep the winds right and give us some speed. We made 4-5 knots back in, until the channel, where the waves were crossing us, and hitting the side of the boat. Not that we had a LOT of choice in which way to go. Shoals were coming up and waves were big, ships were headed out, and winds were still only 20 knots maybe. Not enough to bother the boat. It was the wave action that was sucking bad.
We passed three more, outgoing ships, I gave them wide berth and even used their wash to get into smoother waters for a bit. That helped. I had long since stopped being sick. Nothing left. JoAnne was settling down too I think by then. I occupied her with helping watch for markers and ships. (Hard to miss a ship, though, you really want to miss them….)
We hit the junction of Cape Fear River out going current, the incoming tide, let a giant cargo ship pass, and a tug pulling a barge, and I made it to the ICW cut headed back in with little difficultly.
The engine was still running so that was a good thing.
After we docked with help from Norm from the Marina, who was kind enough to stay on the dock until we arrived, Jay from Knot Working and the folks from the power yacht Chrysalis, I discovered the water pump running down below. I killed the breaker assuming the worst. A bit later, I discovered all the water in our main tank was pumped out (probably to sea) and the pump was running for awhile I guess. I’m surprised it didn’t burn out.
This morning I heard Judy and Stephen got beat up pretty badly as well, Judy was also, apparently ill as well. They made it as far as Georgetown. Far short of Charleston. I believe they said (JoAnne reported) they are on anchor now and resting, well and safe.
I have work to do on the water tank. I’m going to extend our visit here at least a week. I have work to do on the ship, repairs to make and I’m going to have a little chat with a few local business establishments around here…. because I came back to a message about my credit card being compromised (AGAIN) and five transactions for 17-28 bucks occurred yesterday in Raleigh, a good distance from here… but there are three suspects who could have used my number (having all three taken my card out of my sight to take a payment, or getting the number some other way). The rest of the places I used it, the card was never out of my sight and they swiped it into a machine so they couldn’t have easily gained the information from the card). I’m NOT happy about that happening either and if I discover for a fact who did it, there’s going to be consequences. I HATE thieves and I won’t hesitate to take whatever action is required to prevent them from stealing again (legal or otherwise given the right circumstances).
Today, JoAnne gets to relax her back and rest, I’m tearing things apart, making coffee and preparing for the cold weather coming. We are discussing giving up and quitting, selling the boat, getting an RV, going back to Colorado defeated, going on down the ICW, or choosing better sailing days on the outside.
Stay tuned. We will let you know what’s next.